Tuesday, April 22, 2014

When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

Definitions of "rigor" abound. The Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines it as: the difficult and unpleasant conditions or experiences that are associated with something (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rigor?show=0&t=1398220742).

That reminds of a line from the movie "The Princess Bride." As an aside, I admit that this is one of my three most favorite movies, and “Stand and Deliver” competes with it for first place.

In the movie, Inigo Montoya says to the Sicilian boss Vizzini “You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.” Granted, this applied to the word inconceivable, but it could have just as easily applied to “rigor.”

The Common Core curriculum used that word extensively in its introductory debut. But what has it delivered? In English an evaluation criteria based on political correctness rather than critical evaluation. In Mathematics it emphasizes process rather than result. Is it better that the sales clerk follows a rigorous process to give you change or that you actually get the right change? I prefer the latter. How about you?

I have noticed that most defenders of the common core, such as certain radio personalities, defend it without knowing the least bit about it! Honestly. I am not surprised when people with a certain left leaning bias resort to homily and their own set of facts.


Now I freely admit, people have an  absolute right have to their own set of beliefs and opinions, but not their own set of facts! We must apply rigor in asserting that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment