Monday, July 16, 2012

What Does the Doctor Mean?


     I keep getting asked the question, "What does the Doctor mean?" or "Doctor of What?" Here is my answer. I am Doctor Paul Godfrey. That Doctor stands for my Doctor of Workforce Education from The University of Georgia. Since I also graduated from The University of Georgia with a mathematics degree several years ago, I am what is known as a Double Dog. (FYI, my daughter Shelli is a Georgia Tech graduate).  I also have three master degrees from other universities, including a master in foundations of education. I taught in the classroom for 15 years, so I know a bit about that subject, too. That knowledge and experience in education is partly why I think I am qualified to ask for your vote in the Republican Party Primary for Post 3 of the Hall County Board of Education, or, as it was termed before 1945, the "school board."
     The other part is my 23 years of experience successfully devising and managing multimillion dollar equipment and systems as an officer in the Air Force. I developed a reputation for cutting costs while fielding cutting edge technology. I saved thousands in costs for special operations in Germany, got NATO to foot a good chunk of the millions for U.S. Cruise Missile command and control in Europe (we forced the Russians to take their nukes out of Europe with that and helped cause communism to crumble), saved millions in costs while providing state-of-the-art command and controls systems in the Persian Gulf (right, wrong, or indifferent, this helped the military do the job in Desert Storm in Iraq), and played a key role in creating and actually turning a profit for the Defense Data Network, the system that led directly to the internet we know today. While my officer fitness reports gave great praise for these and other actions, I just think I did my job.
     Now, I want to do my job for our school system using that same approach. I want the board to sustain a forward looking, yet conservative viewpoint for our school system. As a retired citizen with many years of experience and a proven management track record, I have the knowledge, the skills, and the time to devote to identifying and cutting any wasteful costs in the Hall County School System. As a trained educator and practiced teacher I will apply that knowledge and experience to ensure the educational system is moving in the right direction. You can read everything about me, my background, and the issues I want to address on my Website at www.GoGodfrey.com . Anything you think is missing, just ask. I hope you agree I am the best man for the job.

2 comments:

  1. I attended one of your cisco (ccna) classes where you expressed to the students you sat in the room with Leonard Bosack and Sandy Lerner and invented Cisco with them. You still make those claims?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, Cisco is a data communications company and was not an invention. Second, I don't know, and don't think I have ever heard, of either Basock or Lerner, so I could not have worked with them. It appears they had some involvement in creating a company named Cisco around 1984. Third, as Director of European Data Networks and Program Manager for the Defense Data Network (DDN) in Europe from 1988 to 1991, I was part of the team that developed the statements of work (SOWs) for many of the data communications devices for the DDN. As most people know, the transfer of the DDN backbone from the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) to the National Science Foundation (NSF) led directly to the internet we know today. Cisco did develop communications equipment to meet my program office's SOWs which were subsequently procured and used in the DDN. I may have met Bill Graves with Cisco while attending a DDN Program Manager Conference in Washington, D.C.; however, lower level contracting officers, not I, worked directly with Cisco personnel in equipment procurement. Finally, I never made an assertion about "inventing Cisco," but I have explained on several occassions how I was involved in the creation of the DDN which directly helped Cisco survive in its early development as a data communications company.

    The phraseology you chose, "Still claim," is suspiciously like what one hears in the loaded question "Are you still beating your wife." The question attempts to limit direct replies to be those that serve the questioner's agenda. This is known as "the many questions fallacy" of formal logic.

    ReplyDelete